Health and safety

Access to healthcare

Citizens of other countries benefiting from medical care on Polish territory must pay for medical services.


At the same time, in accordance with Art. 25 section 1 subsection 2 point a of the Act on non-nationals (i.e., Journal of Laws of 2018, item 2094, as amended), a non-national entering the territory of the Republic of Poland is obliged to possess and present it upon request a document confirming possession of health insurance within the meaning of the Act from on August 27, 2004 on healthcare services financed from public funds (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 1510, as amended) or possess a travel medical insurance with the minimum insurance amount of EUR 30,000, valid for the period of the planned stay of the non-national on the territory of the Republic of Poland, covering all expenses that can arise during the stay within the territory in connection with the need for a return trip for medical reasons, urgent need medical assistance, emergency hospital treatment or death, in which the insurer undertakes to cover the costs of health services provided to the insured person directly to the entity providing such services, on the basis of an invoice issued by that entity.


Persons entitled to healthcare under the EU coordination regulations are entitled to free health services during their stay in Poland.


It is payable to healthcare providers who have concluded contracts for the provision of healthcare services with the National Health Fund. Such persons should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving.


More about the Card on the website of the National Health Fund.

Basic medical care

In order to get the basic care, you should go to a doctor who signed the contract with the NFZ and present the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a replacement certificate. Primary healthcare includes testing and advice from a GP. The doctor can also refer the patient to diagnostic tests, to a specialist or to a hospital.


In the event of an accident, injury, delivery, sudden illness or sudden deterioration of health, you should call an ambulance or go directly to a hospital, in particular the hospital emergency department (SOR). You must show the European Health Insurance Card or replacement certificate at the hospital.


Emergency call:

  • for landline phones: 999
  • for cell phones: 112


More information on the website of the National Health Fund.

Useful information on medical care for non-nationals can be found on the website: